Hampton VFD #1 provides training both in-house and via the Allegheny County Fire Academy and other local and state schools.
We recognize that, unlike the days of old where most training was given “on the job”, today’s volunteer firefighters are being asked to shoulder an ever-increasing course load. The department works with all new members to help them through the various courses with mentoring, tutoring, and having more experienced members retaking courses with the new members.
The department pays the costs of successfully completed courses, and allows stipends for food expenses.
Required courses are either mandated by state or federal agencies, or are of such importance that the department feels that all members must acquire these skills. There are annual refresher courses for many of these skills.
Other courses are required or encouraged, as increasing the percentage of skilled/certified members gives the department better access to state and federal grants.
- Essentials of Firefighting (State) (required to complete initial probation for Firefighter members)
- NIMS 100 (Federal) (required within first year for all active members)
- Basic Vehicle Rescue (State) (required within first year for all active members)
- NIMS 700 (Federal) (required within first year for all active members)
- Hazmat Operations (State) (required within first year for all active members)
- First Aid / CPR / AED (National) (required within first year for all active members)
Courses which members are strongly encouraged to take as soon as possible include:
- Basic Rope Rescue (State)
- Hazmat Technician (State)
- Firefighter 1 Certification (State)
- Firefighter 2 Certification (State)
- EMT Certification (State)
- Swift Water Rescue (State)
- High Angle Rope Rescue 1 (State)
- High Angle Rope Rescue 2 (State)
- Speculated Vehicle Rescue (State)
See the Allegheny County, Butler County, Westmoreland County and Pennsylvania State Fire Commissioner’s web pages for listings of other courses: